Home security systems are essential devices that help protect your home and family from burglaries, fires, and other emergencies. They offer a wide range of features and capabilities, from surveillance cameras and motion sensors to alarm systems and remote monitoring. In this buying guide, you will learn everything you need to know about buying home security systems, from the key features and benefits to the popular brands and models, and the frequently asked questions.
Before you start shopping for home security systems, it's important to know what features to look for, as they can affect the functionality, coverage, and cost of the system. Here are some of the key features to consider:
Surveillance cameras: Surveillance cameras are the eyes of the home security system, providing visual evidence and deterrence of intruders and other threats. Look for a home security system that has high-quality and wide-angle cameras, as well as night vision and motion detection.
Alarm systems: Alarm systems are the voice of the home security system, alerting you and others of any detected intrusion or emergency. Look for a home security system that has loud and clear alarms, as well as customizable alerts and notifications.
Remote monitoring: Remote monitoring allows you to access and control your home security system from anywhere, using your smartphone, tablet, or computer. Look for a home security system that has a user-friendly and secure app, as well as real-time alerts and live streaming.
Smart home integration: Smart home integration allows you to connect and automate your home security system with other smart devices, such as smart locks, lights, and thermostats. Look for a home security system that has compatible and reliable integrations, as well as voice control and scene setting.
Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring allows a third-party monitoring service to watch over your home security system 24/7, and respond to any alarms or emergencies on your behalf. Look for a home security system that has reputable and affordable monitoring services, as well as backup and redundancy options.
Now that you know what features to look for, let's explore some of the popular brands and models of home security systems on the market:
SimpliSafe: SimpliSafe is a user-friendly and affordable home security system that offers customizable and wireless components, as well as professional monitoring and remote access. It also has a sleek and modern design, and a variety of subscription plans.
ADT: ADT is a well-known and established home security system that offers comprehensive and professional-grade components, as well as professional installation and monitoring. It also has a variety of pricing and customization options, and a nationwide network of dealers and technicians.
Ring Alarm: Ring Alarm is a versatile and easy-to-use home security system that offers a range of components and integrations, as well as cloud storage and live streaming. It also has a built-in siren and battery backup, and a user-friendly app.
Nest Secure: Nest Secure is a smart and seamless home security system that offers a sleek and minimalist design, as well as integration with other Nest products and services. It also has a voice control and two-factor authentication, and a variety of sensors and detectors.
Vivint: Vivint is a high-end and customizable home security system that offers a range of smart components and integrations, as well as professional installation and monitoring. It also has a proprietary smart hub and app, and a variety of home automation features.
Before you make a final decision on which home security system to buy, here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
1. Consider your home's layout: Think about the size, layout, and entry points of your home, as well as any specific security concerns or vulnerabilities. Look for a home security system that can cover all the areas you want to protect, as well as provide a range of sensors and detectors for doors, windows, and other points of entry.
2. Check for compatibility: Make sure that the home security system you choose is compatible with your home's wiring, Wi-Fi, and other devices, as well as any smart home platforms or apps you use. Some home security systems may require additional hardware or software, or may not work with certain devices or networks.
3. Consider installation and maintenance: Think about how you want to install and maintain your home security system, whether you prefer DIY or professional installation, and whether you want to do regular upkeep and testing yourself or rely on a monitoring service. Look for a home security system that offers clear and easy-to-follow instructions, as well as ongoing support and maintenance.
4. Read reviews and ratings: Always read reviews and ratings from other customers, as they can provide valuable insights into the performance, reliability, and customer service of a particular home security system. Look for home security systems with high ratings and positive feedback, as well as responsive and helpful customer support.
5. Compare pricing and features: Don't assume that the most expensive home security system is always the best. Compare pricing and features from different providers and plans, and look for discounts, promotions, or bundle deals. Also, be aware of any hidden fees or additional costs, such as installation fees, activation fees, or cancellation fees.
1. Are home security systems worth it?
2. Do I need professional monitoring for my home security system?
3. Can I install a home security system myself?
4. Can I control my home security system with my voice?
5. Can I add or remove components to my home security system?